ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by GodhandRomo on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Earl, thank you for your kind and rational response.

I agree that there is a very small portion of sports fans that don't care about rape and violence, and they may even support it and encourage it. But you can find people like this everywhere. There are accounts of actors that rape, actors that are racist and have beaten people up because of their race (in particular, Mark Whalberg). Then there are people from Hollywood who have outright raped children (Roman Polanski). Hollywood has also been known to not only take in rapists and racists, but also people from gangs and other violent criminals.

I don't think this is any part of Hollywood culture, any more than the few bad apples in sports are a part of culture. Yes, there are people that will defend athletes to no end, just like there are people that will defend their favorite actors to no end.

So what I'm trying to say, is that there are bad people from every facet of life, and there will always be fans of that particular subculture that will defend despicable things to no end. Any kind of celeb catches all these breaks - please do not confuse this with "sports culture" or "jock culture". Actors, musicians, etc. also get these free passes. This isn't a sports problem. This is a celebrity problem where we put all these people on pedestals and we put them in a position where they can never be knocked down. Celebrity culture is the issue here. Not sports culture.
avatar
GodhandRomo
Regular

Posts : 107
Join date : 2014-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:55 am

The reason why I haven't posted since last Friday (and, for that matter, why I haven't even read Romo's post yet) is because there has been a death in my extended family.  Mrs. Earl's aunt, who was like a "second mother" to her, has passed away.  She was a very admirable person.  Mrs. Earl has been hit hard, and her aunt's death has hit me harder than I had expected.  I'll post later.  Perhaps in another day or two.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Big Fat Heretic on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:21 am

Earl wrote:The reason why I haven't posted since last Friday (and, for that matter, why I haven't even read Romo's post yet) is because there has been a death in my extended family.  Mrs. Earl's aunt, who was like a "second mother" to her, has passed away.  She was a very admirable person.  Mrs. Earl has been hit hard, and her aunt's death has hit me harder than I had expected.  I'll post later.  Perhaps in another day or two.

Hello Earl:

I'm very sorry to hear about death of Mrs. Earl's aunt.

I've haven't been posting lately until this evening.

As you know, my left hand is crippled up and I have been waking up in the middle of the night with painful cramps in my hand and wrist, and I had been up-ending the Aspirin bottle. So, I haven't felt like typing again until tonight.

I just notice your latest post after posting my latest article.

Again, I'm very sorry to hear about the recent death in your family.

Be sure to tell Mrs. Earl.
avatar
Big Fat Heretic
IHateSports Fanatic

Posts : 402
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 65
Location : El Paso, Texas

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:53 am

Romo, I'm in general agreement with your post.  I might quibble over a point or two, but I appreciate you for not getting mad since I've raised a legitimate concern.  My father was extremely successful in his chosen field; but he always believed in treating others with fairness and kindness, including people who worked at "humble" occupations.

Big Fat Heretic, thank you for your kind words.  If I dwell on Mrs. Earl's aunt, tears will come to my eyes.  She truly was a remarkable human being.  She had more resiliency than a lot of men.  She had more than her share of tragedy in her life:  Her son died from a kidney disease when he was only 17.  Her firefighter husband died of a massive heart attack after a brush fire had been put out.  She had some kind of receiver on which she heard him die.  One of her two daughters also came down with a kidney disease.  She had to nurse her for about 20 years, having to undergo dialysis I don't know how many times.  She died when she was about 40 years old.  All this tragedy, yet she had a very positive outlook.  She was always so happy and enjoyed talking to Mrs. Earl so much, and she loved me because I took good care of her niece (Mrs. Earl).  She was able to maintain a positive outlook because of her faith as a Christian.  I wouldn't have blamed her if she had become bitter.  I just wish she had not had so much tragedy in her life.

Sorry, but this is all I can say now.  Admittedly, I've been a little silly in my latest "Off-Topic" thread; but that's all I feel like doing now.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by GodhandRomo on Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:14 am

Earl, I'm very sorry to hear about this. She seems like a lovely lady, and she no doubt brought happiness and a warm personality with those who came into contact with her. Cherish the times you spent with her. You're doing a good job living the way she lived: with lots of human compassion
avatar
GodhandRomo
Regular

Posts : 107
Join date : 2014-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Both Mrs. Earl and I thank you for your condolences.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Mrs. Earl on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:51 pm

Thank you both for your expressions of sympathy. They are greatly appreciated.

Romo, I would like to comment on your response concerning celebrities. You make some excellent points, but I don’t think the reason these people get away with so much is simply because they’re celebrities. I think it is because they are entertainers. Unfortunately, some people are so selfish that they don’t care what an entertainer does as long as their entertainment is not interrupted. And, unfortunately, there are more athletes who fall into this entertainer category than anyone else. People are entertained by high-school athletics, college athletics, youth league athletics, little league athletics, as well as professional athletics. Not many people are entertained by nonprofessional musicians, dancers, and actors. I believe this is why more athletes get away with this kind of behavior than any other group. We’re simply drawing on a much larger base.

But all of that aside, there is one negative aspect of the sports culture that is unique to sports. I do not believe I have ever heard of a boy being ridiculed and demeaned because he couldn’t sing or play an instrument or act. But I have heard of many boys who have been ridiculed and demeaned because they weren’t good at sports.
avatar
Mrs. Earl
Familiar Face

Posts : 71
Join date : 2012-12-26
Location : next to Earl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by GodhandRomo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:01 pm

I will have to respectfully disagree with you, Mrs. Earl.

In the NBA, there are 30 teams in the NBA, with a maximum active roster of 14.
That means there are a maximum of 420 in the NBA.

For the MLB, there are 30 teams and with a maximum of a 40 man roster
This equals 1,200

For the NFL, there are 32 teams with a roster limit of 53 players
This equal 1,696

For the NHL, there 30 teams with the roster limit of 23 skaters
This is 690

So, the big 4 sports have a grand total, with a very liberal amount where you max out every single roster of every team on every sport, of 4006 players.

Now it's really not that many, when you think about it. We have over 315 million citizens in the United States. So we are already drawing from an extremely small sample size that will make most statisticians cringe when we try to make any sort of correlation or connection to anything.

Anyways, yes, there are maybe 40 of those 4000 athletes that you hear about that commit crimes of some kind or another. That's 1% of the professional athlete population. Most of them, however, do not commit crimes that are worthy of putting them in jail. Some do, and yes, some ARE in jail. But when you take into account the incarceration rate of the United States, you would see that, as a whole, professional athletes are far from being more violent than the population as a whole (about 1% of the US has been incarcerated).

If you truly think that the number of professional athletes incarcerated is more than 40 of these 4000 (or 1%, which is approximately equal to the rest of the general population crime rate), I urge you to bring up all the examples. It just SEEMS that these athletes commit crimes at a higher rate, because they are in the public eye.

Before you say "But Wait! They aren't incarcerated because they get preferential treatment! They just get a slap on the wrist!" Let me explain to you that all accusations of any athlete I have ever seen was always taken seriously, even with the sports media. All of the athletes faced due process of the law, and many have received any more stern punishments than I think a regular citizen would, as they are being made an example of.

Aaron Hernandez is likely going to jail - he's facing trial now. OJ Simpson is in prison. Rae Curruth is in prison. Sam Hurd in serving 15 years in prison for drugs, not even murder... So to say that these athletes face THAT MUCH of a preferential treatment is absurd. And I can assure you, that all these athletes are disgraced by the majority of sport fans.

I mostly gave a few concessions just to put this whole thing to rest. But I figured I'd clear a bit up
avatar
GodhandRomo
Regular

Posts : 107
Join date : 2014-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Mrs. Earl on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:14 am

Thank you, Romo.  Your points are very compelling, but they show me that I failed to make myself clear.  I realize that the number of professional athletes is really rather small and is probably less than the number of professional actors and musicians.  However, the athletes who are entertainers are not only the professional athletes.  Most of the sports scandals seem to occur with high-school and college athletes, and that’s where I think the preferential treatment occurs.  And I think that the adults who give this preferential treatment don’t care any more about the athlete than they do about the nonathletes.  They just want to be sure they get their entertainment.
avatar
Mrs. Earl
Familiar Face

Posts : 71
Join date : 2012-12-26
Location : next to Earl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by GodhandRomo on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 am

In that case, I urge you to look into the case Brian Banks, an athlete who was tragically falsely accused of rape and had his young life ruined.

If athletes truly had preferential treatment, how did he end up in prison for YEARS for something he didn't even do? How did this alleged "systemic oppression" of non-athletes allow this to happen to him, if athletes truly are favored?

There are plenty of cases of athletes getting raw deals just like him. But Brian Banks is the most notorious case.



I think what's really going on here, is that everybody LOVES to be the victim. It's always "woe is me boo-hoo" and people have the victim complex. They will always think that other people are much more privileged than they are and that life just isn't far. I'm not trying to take a personal jab at you, Mrs. Earl. In fact, I think it's human nature in a way. In the end though, I truly do believe that athletes do have it a bit better, but it is marginal in the whole grand scheme of things. There are plenty of successful and popular non-athletes who get let off easy with things they've done, and there are plenty athletes that are outcasts. There are athletes that get raw deals all the time (like Brian Banks) and there are non-athletes that have the world handed to them and they have much much more than they deserve (Paris Hilton, among many others).

I think the correlation between "jock culture" (or whatever this board wants to call it) and scandals, being privileged, being a bad human being, etc. is nowhere near as strong as this board would love to suggest.
avatar
GodhandRomo
Regular

Posts : 107
Join date : 2014-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:23 am

So, why do you care what anyone says in this forum?  What influence could we possibly have?  You object to a single forum when there are literally tens of thousands of websites for sports fans all over the world.  Why does it matter to you?  It's as if you're objecting to a mosquito biting the back of a whale.  Incidentally, you think you know all the reasons why each individual member supports this forum.  Well, you don't.  You certainly don't know all of my reasons.

Please don't make assumptions about my wife.  You don't know her.  To you she's just words on a computer screen.  For your information, she does not consider herself to be a victim of anything.

By the way, the last I heard is that Brian Banks had been given a second chance.  He had received an offer to play for an NFL team.

I've had mixed feelings about the Internet.  It has provided access for pedophiles and other sexual predators, and has been used to bully kids relentlessly.  On the other hand, it has also provided a public forum for those who previously were ignored by the media.  For example, nonathletic guys (and gals) who were bullied in mandatory "sports only" P.E.  I challenge you to take the time to do Google searches on "phys ed bullying," "p.e. bullying," "locker room bullying," "jock privilege," "jock bullies," etc., and check out some of the links listed on page after page after page.  I know this takes time, but it's informative.  You will read messages from those who were ignored by the media for decades or even generations, but now have a public forum.  Yes, there's no way to establish the veracity of each message; but they can't all be lies.  "Victim complex," my rear!


Last edited by Earl on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by GodhandRomo on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:02 am

I even said that I wasn't making any assumptions of her. I said that it's the overlying problem of society as a whole that we have a victim complex. Our society LOVES to be the victim. Not her. Society. Human nature, as I put it myself.

With Brian Banks, he has no realistic chance of ever going pro. He will never play for an NFL team. He spent the prime of his athletic life (approximately ages 18-24) incarcerated. He didn't have the opportunity to develop his talents, and most people don't go pro at age 24. They enter the league well before that. It's simply too late for him now.

Even if by some .001% chance he DOES go pro, it doesn't take away that fact that his alleged, mythological jock privilege didn't save him.


If you took any of this personally, I apologize for that. I suppose this will be my last post, since I apparently get get along with anybody here. Feel free to respond to this post, but I won't be signing in again.

Take it easy Earl and Mrs. Earl. You two seem like a wonderful and cute couple, and you two are both very intelligent. I wish you two the best in the future.
avatar
GodhandRomo
Regular

Posts : 107
Join date : 2014-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:52 am

Well, since you say you won't post again, I will respond, anyway.  You are free to post as long as you want.  If you feared I was going to ban you, you are sadly, sadly mistaken.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Notice I did not engage in any name-calling.

I got irritated with you because you seemed to be making mistaken assumptions about me.  My current best friend (17 years younger than I am) is a Republican who played football in high school and has a rugged build.  I have never said in this forum or anywhere else that simply participating in a sport turns a boy into a jerk or thug.  I would challenge anyone to offer proof to the contrary.

I do believe that a young boy who has no interest in sports can expect to run into trouble as he grows up.  Through no fault of his own.

There are always single cases that are the exception to the rule.  Are you aware that many rapes are not even reported (regardless of whether the perp is an athlete or not)?

Are you also aware that victims of severe bullying in the schools often develop health problems as a result? I mean health problems in middle age. In fact, this has been verified by the medical establishment.  You think maybe their lives might be ruined?

Romo, you can post here as long as you want.  (Am I talking to myself here?)   Believe it or not, I'm not even very argumentative.  Because of my chronic sleep disorder, I'm chronically tired, which means I get tired of arguing.  Also, I realize the world of human beings goes on in its distorted, wrecked condition.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Mrs. Earl on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:28 am

Good-bye, Romo.  I’m sorry to see you go.  I thought we were having a friendly disagreement, but evidently I was wrong.   Sad
avatar
Mrs. Earl
Familiar Face

Posts : 71
Join date : 2012-12-26
Location : next to Earl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Big Fat Heretic on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:56 am

Good evening Mr and Mrs Earl:

Well, I was going to eventually respond to GodhanRomo after the three of you guys had been sort of duking it out in the ring, to use a tired old sports euphemism.

Then I was going to interject by respond to him. But now, I guess it's too late. Oh well.

OK, first of all, GodhandRomo strikes me as being among the most ignorant forum members along with Fitman's Brother (no longer with us since getting banned) and Orson, AKA Horse Shit!!!

And yet, GodhandRomo says that I'm stupid and that I'm embarrassing myself, and he even once said that I should get off the Internet.

NO! I have been stating FACTS!!!

OK, I didn't start the round of name calling between us. In fact, when he appeared as a new member I even welcomed him to our forum. Then he posted a topic with a lot of crap dissing on Obama and calling Democrats pieces of shit, and then he said . . . . . Oh! This is only a satire!

REALLY??? A satire is suppose to be funny! What he posted was NOT funny!

OK, when I had posted about Michele Bachmann caught masturbating in the restroom on a train while reading the CIA Torture Report, now that was a satire, a parody, and that was funny! It didn't call all Republicans pieces of shit, although I may happen to think they are pieces of shit!

And of course, when I call Republicans, pieces of shit, I'm not doing satire or parody! I mean it for real!!!

Also, GodhandRomo, being a Republican himself, said that he hopes Obama Care gets repealed so that we can "get shit done"! NO! The only shit Republicans are going to get done, is what they do in their britches!!!

Anyway . . . . . . everything I had stated about Republican stupidity is a FACT!!!

FACT!!! Republican representative, Paul Broun, once said that everything that he was taught in science were all lies from the pit of HELL!!!

FACT! Richard Murdock, whom Mitt Romney endorsed for Senator, once said that if a woman gets rapes, then it is God's will, and if she becomes pregnant from the rape, that the baby is a gift from God!!!

FACT! Clayton Williams once compared a rainy day to rape, that if it is inevitable, you might as well relax and enjoy it!

FACT! Michele Bachmann once said that black families were better off under slavery!

Oh! Here's the latest retardation from our good ol' Republican party . . . . .

As you know, all restaurants require their employees to wash their hands after using the restroom, and there is a damn good reason for that regulation.

Oh! But Republicans are against any and all regulations, because, ya know, like, freedom and personal responsibility. Right?

So, North Carolina Republican Senator, Thom Tillis, has gone on record as saying that a law requiring restaurant employees to wash their hands, that it is unnecessary!!!

Oh really???

Well, if that regulation is ever repealed, guess who's going to stop eating in restaurants!!!

Me! Little ol' me! Well, actually, big fat me!!!

When it comes to food, I'm a glutton, but I'm not that big of a glutton that I would risk getting sick.

I'm a glutton for food, but I'm not a glutton for punishment!

So, when it comes to food, I want it prepared under sanitary conditions!

Hold the e-coli and the cholera, please! I'll pass on that!

Like, good afternoon sir. How would you like your meal prepared? With or without e-coli?

You mean, I have a choice? I think I'll choose getting the fuck outta here!!!

And finally . . . . .

Recently a McDonald's restaurant fired 10 of it's black employees, the manager saying that "it was getting too dark in here." Uh, this is the 21st century! Right? Or did I just get off the wrong train in the wrong town?  

Anyway . . . . .

Those are FACTS!!!

And, unlike GodhandRomo, I don't get all of my "information" from FOX NEWS!!!

NO! When it comes to climate change, global warming, the environment, education, health, etc. etc. etc.  I get my information from organizations like NSF, National Science Foundation, Union of Concerned Scientists, NCSE, National Center for Science Education, CFI, Center For Inquiry, etc. etc. etc.

FACTS! FACTS! FACTS! FACTS! AND MORE FACTS!!!

And I make monthly donations to these organizations and I'm always signing petitions on line in my E-mails.

Yet, GodhandRomo calls me stupid???

Well, I'm glad he's finally left us, and won't be posting anymore.

I for one, am NOT going to miss him! NO! Not in the least!

I say . . . GOOD RIDDANCE!!!
avatar
Big Fat Heretic
IHateSports Fanatic

Posts : 402
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 65
Location : El Paso, Texas

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 pm

I'm amazed that anything I or Mrs. Earl could do would be enough to discourage anyone from continuing to post in this forum.

I mean, look at me!  How could anyone feel threatened by my soulful eyes and my big funny nose I keep sticking in people's faces as I sniff my way about?  You know all I want to do is to get someone to pat me on top of my head!

Seriously, I'm amazed that Romo has left us when that was neither my intention nor Mrs. Earl's.  You'd think I was guilty of cyber-bullying or something.

Some, if not many, sports fans seem to be among the most insecure people in the world.  When I discovered Ray's website in December of 2007, I was dismayed by the extremely hateful reaction of sports fans who posted in the forum, the Guestbook, and/or the "Letters" columns.  My best friend, whom I've mentioned above, has no problem with people who dislike sports having their own forum.  But some other sports fans fly into a rage.  The hatred expressed by those people reminds me of the hatred expressed in letters written by segregationists and white racists to newspaper letter columns during the 1960s and '70s.

The reaction of a secure, mature sports fan to a forum like this would be "So they don't like sports?  They even hate them?  Oh, well.  To each his own."  Of course, the sane ones won't be heard from.  Instead, I come across hysterical reactions.

Why would any sports fan consider posting in this forum or even just visiting it?  I despise the John Birch Society for blacklisting my sister decades ago, but I wouldn't waste my time visiting their website.  Just because this forum is on the Internet doesn't mean that there is an organization and a social movement behind it.  We are merely just a very few people posting our opinions.  The real life equivalent would be something like a suburban neighborhood that is overwhelmingly Republican or Democratic.  Someone finds out there's a married couple who live down the street who don't agree with everyone else and that they invite a few of their like-minded friends to come over and discuss politics.  "Oh, no!  Woe is us, woe is us!  There are actually people who disagree with us!"

Two years ago a former high-school or college athlete posted a single "hit and run" message in Ray's "Letters" column for the year.  (Now, granted, I could see why Ray with his hatred and unreasonableness would enrage many sports fans.)  The poor guy actually said, "No one's trying to convert you."  Say what?  Has he never heard of mandatory P.E., a class where a boy who didn't have an ideal physique since he was scrawny or fat could look forward to ridicule and worse?  A class where sports were crammed down the throats of uninterested nonathletic kids, but their health and wellness needs were overlooked and deliberately so?  Is the guy blind?  Who's trying to convert whom?  About two years ago I came across a book written to the parents of nonathletic boys with advice on how to help their sons cope with growing up in a society whose popular culture is saturated with sports.  I can't imagine why the authors would want to write such a book.  It must all be in their minds.

I got irritated with Romo for saying that Mrs. Earl and I have a victim complex.  Mrs. Earl has never considered herself a victim and likely has more resiliency than Romo ever will.  I especially resent the insinuation that we are somehow selfish.  I care about the latest generation of nonathletic boys and the problems they face because of the overemphasis on sports in the schools.  Besides, if mandatory P.E. had been reformed since my adolescent years, I wouldn't be talking about it today.  I'm convinced it hasn't.  PE4Life is not the norm, and there are still plenty of P.E. coaches who are disrespectful to nonathletic kids.

We live in a society with a "blame the victim" culture, which usually comes from the political right.  There are conservatives who defend bullying in the schools and say that any concern for bullied kids is evidence of the "wussification" of America.  I never thought I'd ever hear conservatives defend rapists, but some clearly do!  What happened to all the talk of "personal responsibility"?  Aren't school bullies and rapists to be held responsible for their actions?

Let me make myself perfectly clear before I'm misunderstood.  Every case of injustice is terrible, such as the Brian Banks case and the Duke lacrosse case.  But I'm sure the number of athletes who have been falsely accused of rape has been far exceeded by the number of rapes by athletes that have been covered up by high-school or college administrations or have simply not been reported.  The "alleged" victim in the Maryville, Missouri, case has attempted suicide twice because of the persecution she has endured and the so-called friends who have turned against her.  (By the way, her parents' home happened to burn down, too.)  But Romo would say that is no big deal because everyone is a victim or some other such nonsense.

By the way, Romo, statistics clearly show that athletes accused of rape are far less likely to be convicted than nonathletic men who are accused of rape.  I have no problem believing that is so.  After all, all the defense attorneys have to do is pack the jury full of sports fans.

Yes, Romo, we are just selfish and envious.  But, seriously, why would I be envious of athletes who end up with serious health problems as the result of participating in a dangerous sport?  I got my username from Earl Campbell, a former NFL player who happens to be a nice guy.  He's payed a heavy price for his football stardom.  Today his health is ruined.  

You think of yourself as a libertarian, but I suspect that deep down you are an authoritarian who wishes that people who express social and political views that differ from your own would just shut up.  Well, I might get too tired to put up with Internet forums someday; but I won't shut up to please anyone.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:39 am

I'm not mad at Romo.  I'm just slightly irritated.

It's small potatoes.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 am

I just found the following comment at a blog on sports culture.


When I was in high school in the 90’s the football team jumped a friend of mine in the parking lot for being gay. They broke his jaw and though he was a straight A student, he immediately dropped out. Not one thing was done about it.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterfliesandwheels/2014/10/guest-post-its-a-sport-that-really-rewards-the-worst-human-beings/

Romo's reaction would probably be something like this:  Who cares?  There's injustice everywhere; so, everything is equal.  High-school football players aren't the only people who enjoy unfair privilege.  There are other groups who enjoy unfair privilege as well.  So, again, everything is equal.  Everything and everybody is the same.  Objecting to this injustice is a waste of time.  It's not important.  Besides, we've got to have our football games, no matter what!  The victim was just a fag.  Who cares about him?  Who cares about nonathletic students who make straight A's?  They're just nobodies.  Besides, we can always import our scientists from other countries.

Can anyone name a single sports columnist who speaks out against cases of extreme bullying by high-school athletes?

The former professional football player Scott Fujita has let the entire world know that he supports gay rights, including adoption by gays and same-sex marriage.  At the same time, he says that all professional football players are wonderful guys who don't have an intolerant bone in their bodies.  Not even any who disagree with him about gay rights!  He has never acknowledged the fact that historically some of the worst bullies gay teenagers have faced have been jocks at their schools.  No, in Scott Fujita's world, there are no athletes who abuse others away from the game.  Why, whoever heard of such a thing?!  

If he's so supportive of gay rights, why has he not condemned high-school football players who bully gay students at their schools?  All I hear is a deafening silence!  I wonder why. . . .  Rolling Eyes

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:11 pm

A sort of P.S. to my post above:

Regarding the quoted comment:  Yes, I realize some people post lies at websites.  I also realize there's no way I can determine the veracity of the comment I've just quoted.  All this goes without saying.  But somehow I'm sure it's true.  In all the years I've used Google to browse around the Internet, I've been amazed (well, actually, not surprised at all) at all the comments I've read that have verified the reality of "jock privilege" in the schools.  

I once came across a post at a website titled ironically (for our purposes) Little Green Footballs.  I truly wish I had copied and pasted it.  The poster claimed to have played football in high school.  He also confessed to have made the lives of "outsider" and "noncomformist" students at his school miserable.  If I remember correctly, he may have actually used the word "terrorize."  

Now he was experiencing remorse -- which, I must say, is a bit too late for the kids he bullied.  This really burns me.  Many high-school students are vulnerable for any number of reasons.  Yeah, like they really need to be bullied when they've already got plenty of problems of their own!

Anyway, the guy who submitted the post at Little Green Footballs actually stated that the reason he felt free to bully these students at his high school was because he knew the school authorities would not care and that they would side with him in the event the parents of any of the students he bullied complained to the school authorities about it.

Oops!  I forgot!  Romo doesn't want me to make any statements of this kind.  He'd say I was perpetrating a "victim mindset."

No, Romo, it's not that at all.  It's a matter of empathy and compassion and sticking up for the ignored victims of bullying in the schools.

Hey, Scott Fujita, why don't you stop blathering about how wonderful and decent all of your former teammates were and acknowledge the "meatheads" in your crowd?  Oh, I get it!  Sport is such a sacred cow that we can't condemn the rotten behavior of individual athletes and coaches.  After all, they are the natural leaders of our society; and all of us lesser beings should get down on our hands and knees and kiss their . . .

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by davethehammer on Mon May 04, 2015 10:26 pm

None of this would have happened if the U.S. hadn't invaded Iraq and overthrown Saddam. wrote:]

LOL no, they've been doing the same thing all over the world for years. These people think they are doing their god's work. America didn't push a wrong button

avatar
davethehammer
Member

Posts : 11
Join date : 2015-05-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Tue May 05, 2015 3:26 am

Welcome to the forum, davethehammer!   Smile  If you have any questions, just send me a PM or post them in the forum.

I hope you'll come back and post some more.




By the way, Fujita has redeemed himself by publicly condemning a former teammate who was recently found guilty of committing a series of rapes.  Besides, I was in a bad mood when I wrote the post above.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by davethehammer on Tue May 05, 2015 4:04 am

Earl wrote:Welcome to the forum, davethehammer!   Smile  If you have any questions, just send me a PM or post them in the forum.

I hope you'll come back and post some more.




By the way, Fujita has redeemed himself by publicly condemning a former teammate who was recently found guilty of committing a series of rapes.  Besides, I was in a bad mood when I wrote the post above.

ok  but you have
2 separate forums I had to create another name and email for in

.sportssuck.org/ i'm thinwhiteduke
avatar
davethehammer
Member

Posts : 11
Join date : 2015-05-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Skul on Tue May 05, 2015 6:23 pm

Actually, sportssuck.org has nothing to do with us. Well, sort of. Despite the fact Earl and I have accounts on there, we've been perma-banned, partially leading to the reason this forum exists. Ray seems to hate us for some unspecified reason. We've asked him why, but he never responds. We call this strange turn of events The Ray Saga (coined by Earl).

You can read about it here and about the events before it here.

He also deleted the forum, then put it back up quite recently. Thanks to our HugeFanOfBadReligion we found out about it.

There's no point in asking Ray. He'll spurt out lies and/or outright ban you for merely asking about it. Not even joking, he's done it before.

Ray/Bender

_________________
FORUM RULES

I Hate Sports. Bringing you the truth... no matter how bad it hurts.

Love and Tolerance!
avatar
Skul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Posts : 170
Join date : 2012-12-24
Age : 32
Location : Glasgow, Scotland

View user profile http://ihatesports.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by davethehammer on Tue May 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Skul wrote:Actually, sportssuck.org has nothing to do with us. Well, sort of. Despite the fact Earl and I have accounts on there, we've been perma-banned, partially leading to the reason this forum exists. Ray seems to hate us for some unspecified reason. We've asked him why, but he never responds. We call this strange turn of events The Ray Saga (coined by Earl).

You can read about it here and about the events before it here.

He also deleted the forum, then put it back up quite recently. Thanks to our HugeFanOfBadReligion we found out about it.

There's no point in asking Ray. He'll spurt out lies and/or outright ban you for merely asking about it. Not even joking, he's done it before.

Ray/Bender


then I am putting my thread that's over there,over here too LOL
avatar
davethehammer
Member

Posts : 11
Join date : 2015-05-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Earl on Tue May 05, 2015 11:05 pm

“davethehammer” wrote:
ok

but you have
2 separate forums I had to create another name and email for in

.sportssuck.org/ i'm thinwhiteduke




I didn’t understand what you were saying last night in your last post, davethehammer; but now I do!  There are two reasons why you had to create another username when you registerd to become a member of this forum:  (1) This forum is not connected to the forum at www.sportssuck.org, but is actually separate and apart from it; and (2) the username “ThinWhiteDuke” was already being used by one of the first members of this forum who had previously been a member of Ray’s forum where he used a different username (“Lewis”).  My daughter just made a Google search on “thin white duke” and discovered that it’s had a popular usage.

I’m very sorry I wasn’t able to reply last night.  I’m under strict orders from a sleep doctor to not stay up late anymore, but to always go to bed at the same time.  I’ve been suffering from a chronic sleep disorder, which is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.  Plus, I was also extremely tired physically and could not think very quickly.  In addition to not being able to get enough sleep, I also have extremely strenuous workouts dictated by a personal trainer as part of a bodybuilding program.  I don’t consider it a sport.  It’s a fitness activity.

By the way, I have a household chore to do now; and then dinner may be ready soon afterwards.  I'll be back later, but I don't know exactly when.

_________________
"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
avatar
Earl
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 628
Join date : 2012-12-26
Age : 67
Location : somewhere in space and time

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ISIS executes 13 teens for watching soccer

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum