I HATE SPORTS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Steubenville an isolated incident?

Go down

Is Steubenville an isolated incident? Empty Is Steubenville an isolated incident?

Post by Earl Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:18 am

The answer should be obvious.

I was browsing around in the Good Men Project when I came across a topic entitled "5 Questions from the Steubenville Rape Case." If you're curious, here's a link to the topic.

http://goodmenproject.com/in-good-faith/5-questions-from-the-steubenville-rape-case/

I wasn't going to say a word about it until I came across a post that was submitted by BornAgainPagan yesterday at 11:00 p.m.

As much as we’d like to believe Steubenville was an isolated incident, alas, it is not. The problem isn’t even particularly new.

I was a high school senior 25 years ago, in an affluent suburb or a redder-than-red state, the kind of place people moved to because “bad things don’t happen here,” when an incident took place that was not unlike this case. A party was held at the home of a member of the football team, a handsome, popular “good kid” who came from a “good family.” His father was a bishop in the local ward of the LDS church. His parents went out of town, apparently for some church function, and left their son home alone for the weekend, apparently trusting their precious little Eagle-Scout, Honor-Student, football player “good kid’ to behave himself.

Yeah, right. Those of us in the high-school trenches knew that this “good kid” liked to party, and was a regular at the weekend bonfires usually held in isolated parts of the hills and canyons outside of town. Parties where teenagers–”good kids”–gathered to do what bored, apathetic, affluent teenagers everywhere did (and still do) behind the backs of their clueless, oblivious, in-denial parents: drink, smoke weed, and fuck.

By Monday morning, the grapevine was buzzing about the weekend’s “legendary” events: at least 50 people present (by the end of the day, some had the total up to 100.) 4 kegs of beer procured from god-knows-where (some said a teacher actually showed up with them.) At least one broken toilet that somehow got replaced before Mom&Dad got home….and the pictures.

Apparently, a girl who was a grade behind us, who was new to town and probably desperate to get in with the popular crowd, showed up for the party, and got so drunk she passed out. Depending on the version of events you heard, she was either found unconscious on a pile of coats in one of the bedrooms, or she was found elsewhere in the house and dragged there by two or three guys…who proceeded to take off her clothes, write the word “SLUT” on her stomach with either lipstick or a red marker, arrange her in poses straight out of Hustler, and take pictures with a Polaroid camera. The “good kid” whose parents owned the house was supposedly the photographer.

I wasn’t at that party; I was a high school outsider, never invited to the parties of the popular crowd. I was probably home that night, listening to Rush, practicing my bass playing and wishing I was as good as Geddy Lee. That’s how I spent most of my high school Saturday nights. But the pictures were covertly passed around school for a few days, and eventually I was shown one. To this day, I wish I had never seen it. I didn’t tell anyone either, another regret I will always have. I don’t have a good reason why, other than just being a high school dweeb with the self-esteem of a slug who was terrified that if I told someone what I had seen, it would somehow get back to the guys involved, and they would beat the crap out of me…or worse.

Fortunately, one of the pictures eventually fell into the hands of a teacher, who showed it to the principal, and within a few days an investigation had been launched, students had been interviewed, parents had been contacted…and in the end, nothing was done. The pictures did disappear, and were supposedly destroyed, but no one was punished. The school said they could not suspend or expel students for activities that happened after school hours, and the if the cops were even called, they did nothing. Everyone was outraged, or at least pretended to be, but in the end the golden boys remained golden, and those of us not so privileged knew that they would never be touched because they were “good” kids from “good” families, and they were jocks to boot, and in the eyes of the community, they could do no wrong. And so it all died down, once the next scandal or controversy came along.

I have no idea what happened to the girl involved; she hadn’t been at our school for long and seemed to sort of drop from sight after the pictures surfaced, and I think I heard from a friend of a friend that she eventually dropped out of school and went back to whatever town she came from, to live with relatives. And as for the “good kids” who assaulted her and probably ruined her life? Well, they’ve grown up to become pillars of the community, with “good kids” of their own… who are probably out drinking, toking up and fucking at the bonfires, just like their fathers did back in the day. It would not surprise me at all if the boys are raping girls, just like their fathers did, too.

As for me, I left that town after high school, and for this and other reasons, I never went back. I also never had kids, and to be honest, I’m not sorry. I know that being a parent was hell when I was growing up. And it seems to be even worse now.

The more things change….the worse they get.

I wish it were not so.

Since January I've visited a number of websites dealing with the Steubenville scandal, and I've read many of the comments. I've read comments from people who say they grew up in a football-crazed town and that the "jocks" could get away with just about anything. Seems to be fairly common. Some even said they heard rumors of rape.

I believe one reason this very sad situation has existed is because the sports media does not serve as a true journalistic institution. Investigative reporting is necessary to expose corruption in our society. A certain relative of mine once did investigative reporting for a major newspaper. From listening to her as she told me about her experiences, I came to appreciate investigative reporting more than I possibly would have otherwise. Well, when has the sports media ever reported incidents such as the one BornAgainPagan related at GMP? Again, the answer is obvious. The sports media is not interested in cases in which a high-school or college athlete may have committed rape. They rarely have any sympathy for victims of athletes. (The notable exception, of course, is dogs.) The sports media does not serve a journalistic purpose. It's function is to encourage and promote hero worship. You see, there is a difference between a journalistic institution and a propaganda mill.
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Is Steubenville an isolated incident? Empty Re: Is Steubenville an isolated incident?

Post by Earl Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:48 pm

Well, what did I tell you? I just found this recent online article, which is entitled "Victim bullied after rape allegations against Torrington football players." Please read the article by clicking on the link.

http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2013/03/20/news/doc51493e14b1a0a944806262.txt

Sorry I haven't copied and pasted it. I don't know how to copy and paste Twitter screenshots, which are prominently featured in the article. Also, the article is a bit long. I will admit that I haven't even read the article word for word. I don't need to read it. I know it would just upset me. I've heard it all before. It's the same old story. The "win at all costs" mindset has created a culture that refuses to hold school athletes responsible for mistreating others away from the game, even if a serious crime has been committed. The rules just don't apply to them. The worst enemies of school sport are not people such as myself who support this forum, but are often to be found among the fans and boosters since they are the ones who are actually corrupting school sports as an institution. Ironic, isn't it? Not to mention sickening . . .

Yes, we live in a sick society. Mad Crying or Very sad
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Is Steubenville an isolated incident? Empty Re: Is Steubenville an isolated incident?

Post by Earl Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:05 pm

A very brief summary of the latest scandal referenced in my post above . . .

http://bluntandcranky.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/it-aint-just-steubenville-connecticut-football-players-gang-rape-a-13-year-old-girl/

It Ain’t Just Steubenville: Connecticut Football Players Gang-Rape a 13-Year-Old Girl

March 20, 2013

Oh, and by the way, they are blaming the barely-teenaged girl for it.

First, they raped her. Then they and their fellow scumball pervert friends took to Twitter to gang-rape her again via social media .

Fortunately, these two cowardly, needle-dicked child abusers are 18 years old, and will be tried as adults. That means they’ll do more time, and harder time.

Here’s hoping the authorities drop the hammer on these two loathsome kiddie rapists, and that they get back what they gave once they are locked up.

Mr. B & C

I happen to live near what I believe is now the fourth largest city in the U.S. I subscribe to the daily that serves that city, along with all of the nearby cities and towns. I've noticed that none of the sports columnists in that newspaper have said a single word about the Steubenville scandal, not even since the conviction was handed down. I have absolutely no respect for most sports columnists. They're not journalists. And I'm sick to death of all of the other enablers and rape apologists! Evil or Very Mad I'd think that the decent people who love the sport of football would want to see this injustice come to an end, but we don't hear from most of them. Silence is consent.
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down