I HATE SPORTS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brazilians Protest Massive Sports Spending

3 posters

Go down

Brazilians Protest Massive Sports Spending Empty Brazilians Protest Massive Sports Spending

Post by Agent 47 Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Brazilians protest over rising costs of living, massive sports spending

TONY EASTLEY: Australia might be well pleased to see the World Cup in Brazil, but a lot of Brazilians see sporting events bleeding the country dry.

Hundreds of thousands of Brazilians have staged some of the biggest protests in 20 years over the rising cost of living.

There are widespread concerns about the bills being run up from the World Cup and the staging of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Will Ockenden reports.

(Sound of protesters chanting and clapping)

WILL OCKENDEN: The protests began over small increases to bus fares and quickly became known as the 20-cent revolution. The fare increases are a lot in a country where the minimum wage is about $11 a day.

The demonstrators' grievances have broadened and hundreds of thousands of people across Brazil have taken to the streets in anger.

PROTESTER (translated): The government spent one billion Brazilian real on the renovation of the Maracana Stadium. The society starts to query about it, since we still have not enough investment in education and medical care.

WILL OCKENDEN: Brazil is spending billions of dollars hosting the Confederations Cup and the World Cup next year. Some reports place the amount as high as $15 billion.

The money spent for the Rio Olympics in 2016 is also causing angst. Many of the young protesters are upset about rising costs of public services often perceived as poor quality and that billions of dollars are being spent on sport, not healthcare and education.

The Confederations Cup, which is being played now, has focused the protesters attention on the lavish expenditure.

PROTESTER 2 (translated): We have built many well-equipped stadiums for the World Cup. However, I don't even have medical insurance and I have to queue up for a long time whenever I go to hospital. There is education, for instance. My family has to pay a lot of money for my brother to go to school. That's ridiculous.

(Sound of protests)

WILL OCKENDEN: Protest organisers have been at pains to keep the demonstrations peaceful, saying violence or property damage will only hurt their cause.

But there have been clashes with police in Rio de Janeiro where a handful of people tried to break into the state assembly building. There's also been smaller scuffles with the authorities in Brazil's other cities.

President Dilma Rousseff condemned the violence.

DILMA ROUSSEFF (translated): We should strongly condemn and forbid these acts of violence. We know as a government and a society that all acts of violence are destructive, shameful and only provoke more violence.

WILL OCKENDEN: But the former left-wing activist, who faces re-election next year and whose approval rating has begun to slip in recent weeks, is listening and says she supports the protests.

DILMA ROUSSEFF (translated): The voices from the streets need to be heard. They transcend the traditional mechanisms of institutions, of political parties, of class and the media. Those who took to the streets yesterday gave a direct message to the entire society and above all the government at every level. That direct message from the streets was for better schools, for better hospitals and for health benefits and for the right of the people to participate.

TONY EASTLEY: Will Ockenden with that report.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2013/s3784650.htm

Vive la revolução, Brazilian odiadores de esportes! Very Happy

Agent 47
Agent 47
Familiar Face

Back to top Go down

Brazilians Protest Massive Sports Spending Empty Re: Brazilians Protest Massive Sports Spending

Post by Big Fat Heretic Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Well, if this doesn't fucking suck rubber donkey lungs!

Yeah! Raise the cost of riding on a city bus, cut back on health care and education, and use that money for sports!

Just like here in Hell Fucking Pisshole, Texass, where I live!

We tore down the City Hall building and the Insights Science Museum to make room for a new sports arena, a great big fucking sandbox for fucking retards!

Here in the USA we're flushing education down the crapper for sports!

We need another Civil War, another bloody insurrection against the jocks, and then we need to demolish all the sports arenas across the country, and execute all the coaches, and the rapists!

Then, while all the trailer-trash redneck sports fans are passed out drunk in their single-axle trailer homes, we should send steam rollers over to crush their trashy little trailers while they're all passed out drunk from that cheap Buckhorn Beer that smells like tar paper torn off a shit-house roof!

And finally, after all the sports arenas have been torn down, and all the trailer-trash redneck sports fans have been crushed to death and put out of the way for keeps, then we can replace all the demolished sports arenas with new museums and libraries and art galleries and planetariums!

Yeah! We need a cultural revolution, like, NOW!!!

And I mean, like, yesterday!!!

Big Fat Heretic
Big Fat Heretic
IHateSports Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic

Back to top Go down

Brazilians Protest Massive Sports Spending Empty Re: Brazilians Protest Massive Sports Spending

Post by Agent 47 Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:46 am

You had me at...

Big Fat Heretic wrote:
Well, if this doesn't fucking suck rubber donkey lungs!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Agent 47
Agent 47
Familiar Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Skul Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:01 pm

I seriously don't get why sports are so prioritised over everything else. Even health care and education! You know, things that actually matter. Sports are games, nothing more.
Skul
Skul
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

https://ihatesports.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fat Heretic Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Skul wrote:I seriously don't get why sports are so prioritised over everything else. Even health care and education! You know, things that actually matter. Sports are games, nothing more.
Well, thank goodness for sports!

At least you'll have something entertaining to watch before you die from a lack of health care!

Now, isn't that nice!
Big Fat Heretic
Big Fat Heretic
IHateSports Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigFatHeretic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down