I HATE SPORTS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute

2 posters

Go down

Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute Empty Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute

Post by ThinWhiteDuke Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:05 am

A Greek footballer has been banned for life from playing for the national team after making a Nazi salute.

AEK Athens midfielder Giorgos Katidis, 20, made the gesture to celebrate his winning goal during a Saturday match.

The Greek football federation called it "a severe provocation" that insulted "all the victims of Nazi bestiality".

Katidis denied he gave a Nazi salute. "I am not a fascist and would not have done it if I had known what it meant," Katidis said on his Twitter account.

The player - a former captain of Greece's under-19 team - was fiercely criticised on social media for the salute after scoring the winner in AEK's 2-1 victory over Veria in the Olympic stadium on Saturday.

He insisted he was simply pointing at a team mate in the stands.

The club have asked him to explain himself at a board meeting next week.

But AEK's German coach Ewald Lienen has backed Katidis.

"He is a young kid who does not have any political ideas. He most likely saw such a salute on the internet or somewhere else and did it without knowing what it means," he said, according to Reuters news agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21822165

Well done to the federation. This cannot and should not be tolerated.

I was in Cyprus a few years ago, I know it's not Greece but they share many cultural links. I was there on Ohi Day and you could see how important it was to them.
ThinWhiteDuke
ThinWhiteDuke
Familiar Face

Back to top Go down

Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute Empty Re: Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute

Post by Earl Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:43 am

Here's a picture of Mr. Katidis. Mr. Green!

Greek footballer Giorgos Katidis banned for Nazi salute 8113613

He apparently did it repeatedly. Was he actually so dumb he didn't realize he was giving the Nazi salute? (Incidentally, Greece was occupied by Nazi Germany during World War II.)

What a clown! He's got way too many dumb tattoos; so, he needs to put his shirt back on. Razz
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down