I HATE SPORTS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you find out about this forum, and why are you interested in it?

3 posters

Go down

How did you find out about this forum, and why are you interested in it? Empty How did you find out about this forum, and why are you interested in it?

Post by Earl Tue May 26, 2015 11:38 pm

The double question I've posed in the title of this OP is not meant to put anyone on the spot.  I'm asking out of sincere curiosity.  Admittedly, I'm also trying to stimulate some conversation.  Plus, a little background info might be helpful in promoting a little understanding.

I'll start off:

I'm an American guy who's now 65 years old.  I didn't start browsing the Internet until late December of 2008.  If I remember correctly, I found Ray's website (www.sportssuck.org) after I made a Google search on "I hate sports" out of curiosity.  I was amazed by what I found.  I never expected to come across a public forum that was set up for people to object to certain aspects of the culture of sports.

As you can see, I've only started; and I haven't finished answering my own double question.  I just wanted to provide a framework to give an idea of how we could possibly exchange our own views for the sake of discussion.  I will continue to post my answer; but in the meantime, I hope someone else will join in.  Obviously, different individuals would have different answers.  Some of their answers might be surprising.  

If there's no response, at least I've tried.  There's no harm in trying.
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

How did you find out about this forum, and why are you interested in it? Empty Re: How did you find out about this forum, and why are you interested in it?

Post by Leyton Wengay Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:08 pm

I am surprised already.

possibly we could offer a reward or A prize for a post and maybe loosen the rules a bit to allow some creativity .also let back in FatMan
Leyton Wengay
Leyton Wengay
TROLL

Back to top Go down

How did you find out about this forum, and why are you interested in it? Empty Re: How did you find out about this forum, and why are you interested in it?

Post by New Puritan Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:45 pm

1) Because I hate sport(s)
2) Because I recently read an article about the imminent death of internet forums
3) Because that other forum alluded to some other sport(s) hating forum
4) Because the two forums together show a convergence of points 1&2 above
New Puritan
New Puritan

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:32 am

Welcome to the forum!   Smile

Please forgive me for not being as well-informed as many of you younger guys.  I know that some forums die from a lack of interest.  Such could be the fate of this one, but I'm not willing to give up at this time.  Aside from that, the Internet isn't expected to die anytime soon.  At least as far as I know.

Please forgive me again, New Puritan; but I'm not understanding to what you're referring.  Is "that other forum" in your Point 3) Ray's forum; in other words, www.sportssuck.org ?

If I were not informed as to the history of Ray's forum for the last several years, I would be confused.  For one, glancing at the dates of past posts in that forum, there appears to have been a two-year period when there was no posting activity at all.  Also, the following question undoubtedly rises in the newcomer's mind:  Why do two separate anti-sports forums have the same logo?

To clear up whatever confusion you may have, I've posted a link below to an OP I submitted in which I've explained how it all began:

https://ihatesports.forumotion.com/t139-prequel-to-the-ray-saga-how-it-all-began

If this OP doesn't answer all your questions (or raises even more questions in your mind), I'd be glad to answer them.

Again, welcome to the forum, New Puritan!  Smile  
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by New Puritan Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks Earl. I'm flattered that you think I'm a 'younger guy' as I am far from young. I only recently found that other forum (and I'm not doing that subtle trolling thing by referring to it that way) and I was quite interested to see what other people's views were on the subject of sport hating. It was pretty obvious from the lengthy posts and lack of recent posts that 'something' had happened amongst the posters that had led to it's demise. I thought, what the hell and just posted my opinions that I had been formulating over several years. Recently there was a reference to a rival forum (this one) that led me to have a look for it in the hope that it was more active than that one.

I have been a infrequent, but regular poster/member of various forums on a number of subjects for years and have often wondered how they worked and what people got from being members. It also made me quite frustrated at how unwieldy and in-hospitable most forums make people feel. The article I read about the demise of forums (fora?)focussed on how twitter and facebook groups made it easier for people to engage in similar activities in this age of instant messages and mobile/tablet use. It was pretty accurate but missed some key points I felt.
There is too much trolling and general bad feeling towards people on forums. The 'story' of this one and the other one is a classic case in point. I don't really care about what happened or the relationships between random usernames who are strangers to me. I get it that in general, people are horrible to each other, and my experience of forums such as badscience and an old Arab Strap forum (a band) taught me that there were some people who made people baiting their raison d'etre. This is incredibly off-putting to any newcomers and eventually extremely boring to read, over and over again.
Thanks for the link for that 'what happened' thread but it's not something I will generally look at, the only reason would be to confirm my suspicions that people who regularly use/moderate/own forums are just a bit too self-referential and fascinated/obsessed by perceived minor slights.
Forums in general are too rigidly monitored, and depending on how many members they have, are too prone to the domination by one or two members/moderators. The 'rules' are often long winded and esoteric (to the outsider) and can put people off.

Anyhoo, I've just woken up and am rambling. I will probably do my usual thing and post a few things then get bored and occasionally log in to read the same old flame wars and trivialities.

I don't know if I have breeched any 'rules' with this post but I really don't care. You know what else has lots of 'rules'? Sport(s).

Hwyl fawr!
New Puritan
New Puritan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down