I HATE SPORTS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earl's novella in progress

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Earl's novella in progress - Page 3 Empty Re: Earl's novella in progress

Post by Earl Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:45 am

Section 18
The Eagle in Austin

In September of that same year, an NFL rookie named Jason Stryker played for the Austin Eagles in his first game of the season.  

His high salary enabled him to pay for the design and the construction of his own home.  He hired an architect to design a spacious, modern home for him and his young wife on the northern shore of Lake Austin.  

He instructed the architect to design a specialized room that would be large enough to serve as a home gym.  In addition to a sauna and a whirlpool, there would also be an indoor swimming pool.  

Jason had been trained in the use of firearms at the urging of Coach Black during his adolescence.  By the time he graduated from the university, he had become a highly skilled marksman.  So, he also instructed the architect to design an indoor shooting range.  

Jason had chosen a secluded site for the construction of his home.  

When the carpenters had finished their work, security professionals installed an elaborate system of door and window sensors; and camouflaged surveillance cameras were mounted in trees on the property.  

The back of the new home could be seen from the other side of the reservoir, but the sides and the front were concealed from sight by a dense growth of trees and underbrush.  A long two-lane concrete driveway off the main road led to the front porch; but since the driveway curved among the trees and underbrush, the home could not be seen from the road.

When the young couple had finished moving into their new home, a square-foot bronze plaque was affixed to the front door at eye level just above the knocker.  Engraved into the surface of the plaque was the bas-relief image of an eagle, its head turned to the right.  The wings and the legs of the eagle were outstretched, and both of its feet were clutching arrows.  

This militant image was the symbol of a new political party that had been founded by the professional football player.  He had announced its formation to the public in a live interview on a cable sports channel.  The Nationalist Club had been retained and reorganized under a new name as the youth wing of the Nationalist Party.

Last edited by Earl on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:21 pm

Section 19
On the Brink of Catastrophe

In the ninth year following Loren’s abduction, a dense fog enshrouded the city of Austin on New Year’s Eve; but the chill of the evening did not dampen the spirits of those who were celebrating the coming of another year.

Jason Stryker and his wife Jane were hosting a New Year’s Eve party.  A delicious barbecue dinner had been prepared for the celebrators, most of whom were card-carrying Nationalists.  When they had finished eating in the large dining room, the guests and their hosts congregated in the spacious living room where they continued to socialize with one another. The long glass wall of the living room faced the reservoir, but the view was obscured by dense fog on this cold night. As they waited for the final countdown to usher in the new year, they munched on healthy snacks and sipped nonalcoholic champagne.  

Shortly before midnight the energy being came into the crowded living room, but it did not place Loren on the floor. Instead, it held him up near the ceiling where none of the celebrators would accidentally bump into him.

I have just given you a mind link to the human who is now Jason Stryker’s mate.  The two of them are standing to the right of the large-screen television.

Jason had turned on the Mitsubishi, which was mounted to a wall.  A local station was broadcasting live coverage of festivities at the university and elsewhere in the city.  A countdown clock was also displayed at the top of the screen.

Jason and Jane were talking to Ron Black.  Standing nearby, David Stryker was chatting with Ron’s mother while her husband Darren was conversing with several friends on the other side of the living room.  Soon he would be making his way back to rejoin his wife for the final countdown.

As if he were guided by instinct, Loren activated the mind links to Jane, Jason, David, and Darren simultaneously; and relevant memories began to be downloaded in chronological order.  

Two kinds of memories were downloaded to Loren’s mind.

Some memories were about past events that had involved only one of the four individuals whose minds were now being read.  The memories of those events were downloaded directly from the individual’s mind.  

Other events had involved two or more of the four individuals.  Each individual’s memory of such an event was accessed, and then all the accessed memories of the individuals were instantly harmonized by the links into a single new composite memory that was downloaded to Loren’s mind.

The first memories were accessed from the mind of Darren Black.

On the Saturday morning that radically changed his life decades ago, Darren had just witnessed the incredible events in his study.  When he realized that the newspapers and magazines on his desk had come from the future, he knew what he had to do.  He would call a local safe company before the day was over.  He wanted to keep the publications in a place where they would be completely protected, and he also wanted to keep them from being seen by anyone who was not supposed to see them.  

In the afternoon of that fateful day, a sobbing ten-year-old Jason fell asleep in Darren’s arms.  So, he carried the boy from the living room to a spare bedroom and gently placed him on the bed, where he would be able to sleep undisturbed. Then he went to his study, where he called the safe company and made an appointment for an installer to come over.  A closet in his study would be converted into a fireproof walk-in safe.

Before the installer arrived, Darren put the Prophecies in storage boxes, which he stacked in one of the corners of his study.

On the following Monday when the installer had finished his job and left, the coach took the Prophecies out of the boxes and stacked them inside the new safe.  

Four shelves had been mounted inside the safe.  Each shelf was long and wide enough to easily accommodate two stacks of publications.

Darren had given the first publication that had materialized on his desk to Jason.  This newspaper from the very near future was now hidden in his suitcase, which he had brought with him from his uncle’s home.

Darren stacked the rest of the publications that had been transported in chronological order on the three shelves below the top shelf, which was reserved for the issue of The Washington Post that had been transported out of order.

This single publication was the last one that had materialized on Darren’s desk.  It was also the one he had examined first.

It was a special memento of the incredible events that had changed his life.  He knew he would want to look at it from time to time.  So, he put it on the top shelf instead of stacking it with the others.  

From that day forward, Darren had been using the Prophecies to direct Jason’s life; and the boy had put his complete trust in the coach.  

On the day of a newspaper or magazine’s publication, Darren would no longer refer to it as a Prophecy.  He would remove the publication from his safe and recycle it or give it to Jason if he wanted to keep it as a memento.  

Darren still would not let him read any Prophecy before the day of its publication.  But he did tell him that he would give him all the remaining Prophecies in the year before his election to the White House.  

Last edited by Earl on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 13 times in total
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:39 pm

Darren’s memories were immediately followed by harmonized memories from the minds of Jane, Jason, and David.  

This particular series of events began eight years ago on the campus of the university.  The day was a Friday in February, late in the afternoon.  

Loren learned how Jane and Jason had met.  Then he learned what happened on the following Sunday morning.

The two university seniors were sound asleep on the sofa bed in the living room of the coed’s apartment.  They had not intended to spend the night together.

Jane and Jason were awakened by the ringing of his cell phone when his father called.  

Jason had called him last Friday late in the afternoon.  He first told him he had just rendered assistance to a coed whose car had broken down.  Then he told him to not expect him for dinner since he was taking her to a restaurant.  He would come home later that evening.  

On the following day while he was driving her back to the auto repair shop, he called his father and told him he would be taking her out to dinner again. When his son had not come home by midnight, David was not concerned.  He was hoping that Jason had finally found a girlfriend.  David did not call him that night.  

But in the morning when he went outside to pick up the paper, he did not see his son’s pickup parked in the driveway or by the curb in front of his home.  He checked the garage and saw only his Ford Focus.  So, now he was calling his son to be sure he was okay.

Jason answered his cell phone.  He told his father he and the coed had fallen asleep on the sofa in her apartment while they were hugging each other, and he said he wanted him to meet her because she had become his girlfriend.

David told him to bring her right over and said he would fix breakfast for the three of them.  

As he hung up the phone, Jason’s father was overjoyed.  He also felt a great sense of relief.  Perhaps his son had not been suffering from a sexual problem after all.  In spite of his moral conservatism, David did not care if Jason and the coed had had sex.  

His home was a twenty-minute drive from Jane’s apartment.  As she rode with Jason in his pickup, he reminded her that his father did not know he had been raped.  He had told her the night before that he would tell him someday, but not until he felt the time was right.  And now he was telling her to not let her tongue slip during their visit.  

Jane did not want her new boyfriend’s father to have the wrong impression of her.  So, when she had been introduced to him, she told him she and Jason had not had sex the night before.  David smiled and almost giggled as Jane blushed and Jason looked nervous.

When they had finished eating, Jane and David asked Jason if he would mind letting the two of them have a private talk. They wanted to get to know each other, and she also wanted to hear stories of Jason’s childhood.  They would have felt awkward if he were listening to them.  So, a grinning Jason let them have their privacy; and he stayed in his bedroom where he did homework until they had finished talking.   

A close bond formed between Jane and David that morning.  Charmed by her warm and caring personality, David was impressed by her intelligence and decency.  Flattered by his enthusiastic approval of her as a girlfriend for his son, Jane was amused by his erudite wit; and his fatherly kindness and empathy touched her.  When she told him about her parents and broke down, he sat by her on the sofa and gave her a gentle hug.  She was the daughter he never had, and he was the sort of father she had longed for when she was a young girl.

On the last day of the spring break, Jason asked Jane for her hand in marriage; and she accepted his proposal without hesitation.  Jane’s friends had felt sorry for her because she had never had a boyfriend, and most of Jason’s friends had been concerned about him because he had not shown any interest in dating girls.  So, they were delighted to hear the wonderful news of their engagement.  

All the plans for the wedding were made well in advance of the finals at the university.  Jason wanted to fulfill Jane’s childhood dream; so, he instructed his father’s travel agent to make arrangements for him and Jane to visit the Carlsbad Caverns and the Grand Canyon on their honeymoon.  

They got married in Austin the week after their graduation.  In addition to David’s friends and colleagues at the university, many of Jason’s former teammates came to the wedding.  Darren and Susan Black were among the other guests, and their son Ron was best man.  Dirk Pierce, who had earned a degree in law enforcement at the university, served as one of the ushers.  Jane’s former high-school English teacher Alice McCready and her husband Harold came all the way from Lufkin for this joyous occasion.  Instead of leaving Austin for the summer, their son Mark had stayed in town for the wedding after completing his junior year at the university.  Since he was an ardent football fan, Mark was thrilled to meet Jason Stryker at the reception.  

However, fourteen years later the two men would have an entirely different interaction.  A radical interaction of a decidedly unpleasant nature.

The newlyweds did not expect to consummate their marriage during the honeymoon, but they were blissfully happy because they had each other.  

Jason would continue to have the nightmares for the time being; but whenever he woke up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night, Jane would be with him.  

Last edited by Earl on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:47 pm; edited 14 times in total
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:04 am

As the four mind links continued to function, another memory was accessed and downloaded from the mind of Darren Black.

The time of the memory was the day when Jason was presented with his first NFL paycheck.  The place of the memory was the Austin suburb where Darren had spent the last 25 years of his life.  

Early in the evening before dinner, he had just finished a workout at a local gym and was about to drive back to his home. Although no one else was in his car, Darren would soon discover that he was not alone.

Several minutes after he had left the parking lot, an unseen presence spoke to him.

Jason Stryker has just made a life-changing decision.  If he carries it out, he will never come to power.

Darren did not respond.  He feared he was having an auditory hallucination.

You are not hallucinating.  I am speaking to you telepathically.

“Who are you?  What are you?”

I am an imperfect duplicate of the energy being that came into your study twelve years ago and transported the newspapers and magazines from the future.    

“How do you know about this?”

When the energy being came into your study, I was inside its body where it had created me.

“I saw no energy being.”

The energy being cannot be seen by humans.

“What about the glowing particles of green light and the silvery beam?  Where did they come from?”

They were produced by the energy being.

“So, this energy being you speak of disintegrated the newspaper I had brought into my study; and then it cleared off my desk to make room for the publications from the future?”  

Yes.  

“Where did the energy being come from?  Outer space or another time or both?”

You don’t need to know where it came from, but you do need to know what you must do this evening.

“Right before it disintegrated the newspaper, I felt a peculiar tingling in my scalp.”

Upon our arrival in your study, the energy being released me from its body.  It had already directed me to take up residence inside your skull.  The reason why is because I am unable to survive outside of a suitable enclosure.  You experienced the tingling as I passed through your scalp.  

“You’ve been living inside my head ever since?”

Yes.

“Are you a parasite?”

Absolutely not.  My presence in your body poses no threat to your health.

As I have just said, I am not a perfect duplicate of my creator.  In addition to my instability, I do not possess any of its destructive powers.  But my mind reading abilities are far greater than its own to an astronomical degree.

I began to read Jason Stryker’s mind twelve years ago as soon as I had moved from the body of my creator to your head, and I have since continued to read his mind during his waking hours.

As the years passed, he always sought your advice whenever he was faced with making a major decision; and you always exercised sound judgment in the advice you gave.  So, I never had to contact you.  

But now he has made an extremely consequential decision on his own.  A wrong decision that could prevent him from coming to power.  The situation is dire.  If you fail to act on my warning, all will be lost.  

In addition to listening to your vocal responses just now, I have also been reading your mind.  I know what you are thinking.  You fear that you are having an extended hallucination.  So, I must convince you beyond the shadow of a doubt that I really do exist.  Just listen to me and do what I say.

Your home is now within sight.  Go into your study and open the safe.

Darren parked his car in the garage.  The door inside the garage opened into the kitchen, where Susan was busy cooking dinner.  He paused to tell her that he needed to make a confidential phone call.  

Last edited by Earl on Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:05 am; edited 8 times in total
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:46 am

Once he was inside his study, he locked the door and entered the code to unlock the safe.  

The reason why I have directed you to open your safe is because one of the future news articles is quite relevant to my warning. This article appears on the front page of a newspaper that will be published in the first year of the Stryker regime.

The duplicate then identified the newspaper by its name and its publication date.

You have a memory of stacking the future publications in your safe, but it is not a photographic memory.  You saw the newspaper in which the relevant article will be published, and you also saw the stack in which you placed it.  These images were perceived in the sight center of your brain, but they were not retained in your mind as a memory.  In other words, you are incapable of recalling in which stack you placed the newspaper.

However, unlike those of humans, the memories of energy beings are completely photographic; and each memory retains its accuracy for several decades.  In that interval of time, the energy being can recall everything it saw on the particular occasion under consideration down to the last detail.

I watched from inside your skull as you stacked the future publications in your safe.  Therefore, I have a completely accurate memory of the order in which you stacked each one of them.  

This means I know the exact location of the newspaper in which the relevant article will be published.  I know in which stack it has been placed.  I even know its position within the stack.  

A hallucinatory voice does not have this sort of connection with reality.

I will now direct you to the newspaper.

Remove the stack on the right side of the bottom shelf, and place it on your desk.

Darren did as he was told.

Now find the third publication from the top of the stack.  

As he stood in front of his desk, he removed the top two publications from the stack.  Then he picked up an issue of The Washington Post.  Along with the rest of the media, the newspaper would be tightly controlled by the state.

Look at the front page.

Darren saw a news article he had read on the very morning of its transportation from the future.  Its sensationalistic aspect had caught his attention, but he never told Jason about it.  The article was entitled “President Stryker’s uncle executed for raping boys.”

Then the duplicate told him what he needed to know.  

Darren called Jason immediately.

The NFL rookie had just sat down to dinner with his wife in the dining room of their apartment.  When he checked the caller ID and saw who was calling him, he answered his cell phone.  

Last edited by Earl on Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:35 am

Darren did not want anyone else to hear about the Prophecies or the Presence inside his skull.  So, he urged Jason to seek the privacy of another room where Jane would not happen to overhear him as he spoke to Darren on his cell phone.  
Jason listened to his former high-school coach as he told him a tale no one else would have believed.  

Jason was utterly amazed because there was no denying his mind had been read. He had made a very important decision only minutes before his cell phone rang with Coach Black’s call, and he had told no one about it. Not even Jane. But Darren knew what he had decided to do because the Presence had informed him of his decision as soon as he had made up his mind.

“You must not hire a private investigator.  This is not the time to bring your uncle to justice.  

“The Presence has warned me that your childhood rape must be kept a secret until the day of retribution.  Jane had to be told why you were sexually repressed, but no one else must know about it.”  

“When will my uncle be punished for what he did to me?”

“According to one of the Prophecies, your uncle will be arrested and publicly executed in the year you come to power.”

“But that’s fourteen years from now!  Why should I wait so long to see justice done?”

“Jason, the course of your life was changed on that fateful weekend twelve years ago.  A new timeline of future events was set in place.  A timeline that was revealed to me by the Prophecies -- which, as you know, have been my guide in directing your life.  Since you have always followed my orders, your life has been kept on course.  

“As your new timeline was set in place, the important events in the rest of your life were predestined to occur at specific dates.  Since you are still young, many of these events have yet to occur.  The day of retribution is one of them.  The Presence has warned me that the dates of these events must be strictly observed.  This means to not carry out any decision that would deviate from your timeline.  

“The Presence has also declared that if you hire a private investigator tomorrow, the course of your life will be changed again.  You will not be elected President, and there will be no fascist revolution to save America.”

“But that just doesn’t make any sense!  I don’t see how the timing of the day of retribution could possibly affect my future rise to power.  How would seeking justice now prevent me from being elected President thirteen years later?”

“I don’t know, Jason.  The Presence hasn’t told me.  But its warning must be heeded.  As I have just said, this is not the time to bring your uncle to justice.  His fate is preordained.  The day of retribution is not close at hand.  It’s fourteen years in the future.  You'll just have to wait.”  

“I seriously doubt I’m the only one who’s been raped by my uncle.  I’m sure he’s raped other young boys.  And what about his future victims?  What about them?  He’ll continue to rape until he’s stopped!”  

“Jason, you’ve got to look at the big picture.  In every violent revolution, innocent lives are sacrificed for the greater good of the country.  Even the lives of children.  The plight of your uncle’s future victims will undoubtedly be heartrending, but the alternative would be far worse.”

Last edited by Earl on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 6 times in total
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 am

Dejected by the deferral of justice but determined to save the country, the young professional football player would continue to obey Coach Black.

As this memory came to an end, the link to Darren’s mind deactivated itself.

Loren was feeling fatigued again.  So, he temporarily deactivated the other three links.

As you have just learned, I have created an imperfect duplicate of myself.  The so-called “Presence” that is now residing inside the skull of Darren Black.  

I neglected to tell you why we arrived so early at Lester Stryker’s home for the second intervention.  The reason why is because I needed the additional time to absorb a considerable amount of extra energy.  

Before we left the Void, I told you I had seen four short visions that revealed the interventions we were to carry out.  I also told you that each vision had revealed the time we were to arrive at the specified place of the intervention.

The vision of the intervention at the uncle’s home had revealed that we were to arrive early.  It had also revealed that I would absorb the extra energy while you were being punished for your insubordination.  

Some of this energy would be spent at our next stop in time to transport the publications from the future.  But the greater part was spent before we left the uncle’s home.  It was used to create the duplicate you have just learned about. The duplicate that I kept inside my body until we arrived in Darren Black’s study.  

As you have also just learned, this human will give the remaining future publications to Jason Stryker in the year before he is elected President.  

Also on that occasion the so-called “Presence” will move from the head of its original human host to the head of the future dictator.  

If this unstable duplicate were denied access to a suitable enclosure, it would begin to dissipate as heat; and in less than an hour, it would cease to exist.  

Although it lacks my destructive powers, the duplicate does possess extremely powerful mind reading abilities.  It is able to scan the minds of hundreds of thousands of humans for particular kinds of thoughts in less than a minute, and the incredibly wide range of its operation spans the length and breadth of your country.

Jason Stryker will enjoy an incredible advantage when the duplicate has taken up residence inside his skull.  During the presidential election campaign, it will be able to read the minds of his political opponents even if they are over a thousand miles away.  They will not be able to outmaneuver him.  

Its mind reading abilities greatly surpass the capacity and efficiency of any mass surveillance system devised by humans. Machines break down, and humans need rest and sleep; but the duplicate is able to function without interruption for decades.  

When its host has come to power, the duplicate will constantly scan the minds of mentally competent adolescents and adults for seditious thoughts. No one will be able to keep his thoughts to himself.

Huge amounts of data will be collected by the duplicate every day.  

Since the memory capacity of the human brain is obviously quite limited, none of the data will be downloaded to the host’s mind.  It will be stored in the duplicate’s mind until it is downloaded by means of electrodes attached to the host’s head.  

The downloaded data will be transmitted to the national headquarters of the secret police, where it will be processed by a computer operated by the chief.  The processing will be followed by the printing of a detailed report.

Last edited by Earl on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:39 am; edited 8 times in total
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:08 am

Once the chief has read this report, he will confer with Jason Stryker.  When they have concluded their conference, operational directives will be sent to regional headquarters.

The computer that processes the downloaded data will also send death lists to local headquarters.  The opponents of the regime will not be able to organize.  Instead, they will all be liquidated.

Jason Stryker will be invincible.

Loren was quite dismayed by what the energy being had just told him, but he was no longer experiencing any fatigue.  So, he reactivated the three mind links, which continued to download memories of the past.

In all of the football games in which he played, Jason was a beast on the gridiron; but he was impotent in bed with his wife.  They still had not consummated their marriage by the end of the season; so, he decided to seek professional help. Jason, who had once told his father he would not be caught dead in a shrink’s office, started seeing a sex therapist. Accompanied by his wife, the intimidating linebacker wept in the privacy of the therapist’s office.  His therapy would last for six months.

Loren was reading the mind of a 30-year-old woman who was deeply in love with her husband.  She was happy beyond her wildest dreams.

To be continued …
Earl
Earl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3