Did I miss something? Are pigs flying?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Did I miss something? Are pigs flying?

Post by Earl on Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Yes, they are!

You would never guess who made the following statement:

You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!

It was made by a TV sports anchor named Dale Hansen.  I never would have expected any sportscaster to make such a statement!  

I've posted a You Tube video of Hansen's address below, as follows:

I've also copied and pasted the text of an article that gives more information.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/12/dale-hansen-michael-sam-gay-nfl-video_n_4775165.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp#sb=1358652b=facebook
Texas Sports Anchor Delivers Jaw-Dropping Speech On Gay NFL Players (UPDATE)

The Huffington Post  | by  Ryan Grenoble
]Posted: 02/12/2014 7:10 pm EST Updated: 02/14/2014 12:59 am EST

Sports broadcasts are typically known for their punchy lists of best plays, epic goal countdowns and testosterone-fueled commentary.

Which makes Dale Hansen's address Monday night all the more remarkable. The Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA took a break from the standard script to address the issue of Michael Sam, a defensive lineman poised to become the first openly gay player in the NFL.

The approximately two-minute segment, titled "Hansen Unplugged: Celebrating Our Differences," opens with a joke about Sam's "shocking" circumstance -- that he's the "best defensive player in football's best conference," yet only a third to fifth-round NFL pick ("Really?!?") -- before adopting a more serious tone and addressing Sam's critics and haters alike.

In particular, Hansen focuses on athletes who are deeply destructive to the world and people around them, yet are still revered for their on-field performance:

You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.

Hansen then drives home the hypocrisy: "You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!"

"I'm not always comfortable when a man tells me he's gay; I don't understand his world," Hansen adds later. "But I do understand that he's part of mine."

The segment made waves on social media -- from the jocular ("BREAKING: Texas has sane people too") to the more sentimental ("Proof there is still hope for humanity").

UPDATE: 6:52 p.m. --
In an email to The Huffington Post, Hansen said he's surprised at the response his segment unleashed. "Some people don't seem to believe this -- I honestly didn't think it was going to be that big a deal," he said, adding he's received more than 700 "overwhelmingly positive" emails from around the U.S. and one from a young high school boy in Canada.

When asked for his thought process on taking such a firm stance and then broadcasting it, Hansen responded thus: "I write only what I believe -- and I simply believe what I wrote. Seems like common sense to me -- nothing more or less."

WATCH Hansen's poignant segment, above.

I've got a great idea for a new signature!  Smile

"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
Earl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Did I miss something? Are pigs flying?

Post by Orson on Fri May 30, 2014 6:38 pm

As somebody who loves sports and is well immersed in sports culture, this is not shocking at all.

Most people involved in sports don't care if somebody is gay. They only care about your attitude on the field and how good you can play. Anything else is just reporters and the media talking about stuff they don't know about for TV ratings.
Orson
Sports Bore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl on Fri May 30, 2014 7:40 pm

orson wrote:Most people involved in sports don't care if somebody is gay.

This is a very recent social development.  It certainly wasn't true when I was young.  Any guy who was even suspected of being gay could count on being treated quite badly.  These suspicions were based on phony negative stereotypes.  

I personally never had the occasion to listen to locker room talk, but I often heard that anti-gay smears were common as part of the machismo.  You may have heard of Esera Tuaolo, a former professional football player who was secretly gay.  He came out of the closet after he had retired and published his autobiography in which he said he had heard anti-gay smears all the time in the locker room.  For that reason, he would not come out of the closet until he had retired.

orson wrote:As somebody who loves sports and is well immersed in sports culture, . . .

Most of the currently active members of this forum (which, admittedly, are very few in number) do not look down on you or think they are superior to you.  I certainly don't.  All of my personal trainers at the health club have been young guys who had athletic backgrounds.  I've gotten along just fine with all of them.  They've been a pleasure to work with.  Just to see how they would react, I even casually mentioned to two of them that I had had no interest in sports.  They had no problem with that.

I only have a problem with those who denigrate nonathletic boys and/or seek to impose sports upon those who simply have no interest in them as a matter of personal preference.  If a boy will feel better about himself if he participates in one or more sports, then he should be given every opportunity to do so.  Likewise, those who have no interest in sports should be encouraged to follow the path that is right for them.

By the way, thanks for being civil.  (Civility is not often found in most of the forums I've seen.)  I appreciate it.  

"You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You're the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft. You kill people while driving drunk? That guy's welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they're welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police, trying to cover up a murder? We're comfortable with that.  You love another man? Well, now you've gone too far!" -- Dale Hansen, Dallas sports anchor for ABC local affiliate WFAA
Earl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orson on Fri May 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Maybe it is a new development then. The worst I've seen is people jokingly calling each other "gay" and that was middle school stuff. And most kids who used that didn't have a full grasp of what "gay" meant. To them, it just meant "stupid"

So, I'll concede that it's probably just a cultural thing and where you're from. From my personal experience though, most athletes really don't care at all about who somebody has sex with. They just want a good and talented teammate.
Orson
Sports Bore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Earl on Fri May 30, 2014 10:01 pm

I will accept what you say about the attitude of athletes toward gay teammates (at least to a degree).

There undeniably have been some great social changes in this country in the last 50 years.  When I was 14, the U.S. still had Jim Crow.

Earl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top